The textbook describes duress as a situation where a person enters an agreement, but only because of use of force or threat of bodily harm. For example, a business owner who must pay “protection money” to a neighborhood gang.
It describes undue influence as a situation where a person uses unfair and improper persuasive pressure to force another person to enter into an agreement. This usually happens with people who are old, have ill health, or have mental immaturity. For example, an old man agrees to give his neice $5000 because the neice told him that she would get thrown out of college if he didn’t give her the money.
Search the Internet and find a news article that describes either of these situations. Once you find one that is suitable, do the following:
1. Reply to this post with either “duress” or “undue influence” as the title along with the state where the situation occurred. For example, “Duress – Nevada”.
2. In your post, include a link to the article.
3. In one full paragraph, expain why yours is a good example of duress or undue influence. Be sure to include evidence from the article about the contract that was entered into by the victim.
4. Once you have posted your article and explanation, read the posts of two of your classmates. Reply to each of the two and explain why you agree or disagree with their observations.
5. You may receive bonus points for responding to more than two article posts on this subject.